Some patterns in applique will say image reversed for fusible applique, or you may have to reverse the pattern to face the way you want or need. Letters and numbers are good for creating this confusion. There is a way to test the images before using the actual material. Let’s face it some of the quilting materials can get pricey .This test process will help prevent making errors and waste.
The tools you will need are standard copy paper, pencil or marker, lightbox, or window, tape, scrap fabric, paper scissors and your image.
Trace the image you’re working with onto a piece of copy paper. For my purpose I’m going to use the little bird. If you can’t see the lines, use the light box or window to make it easier to trace.
Cut the image out on the line drawn.This is now your template.
Write “paper” on one side of the template and on the same side write the direction in which you want the template to face. L for left or R of right will work. This will indicate the paper side of the fusible web or the drawn side of the template. In this case I want the bird to face right.
Put a piece of tape on the other side of the template. You can use rolled up scotch tape or double sided tape. This is the adhesive side or fusible side of the template.
Using a scrap piece of fabric, put the adhesive (tape) side of the template to the wrong side of fabric. Cut out the template . You don’t have to be exact as this is a test and you’re using scraps.
Then flip it over. Is the fabric with the template going in the correct way? In my case it is not.
If not the pattern needs to be reversed. Try this with a number like “2” or the letter “E”..or shapes that are not symmetrical. Use the paper template pattern to adjust if necessary by simply flipping it over.
I found it helpful to use this process of testing a pattern when I was working on a quilt and the pattern didn’t come out the same as the picture. The pattern did say it was reversed for fusible web but it really wasn’t. I found that this process works for fusible applique and freezer paper applique After much frustration and money spent for the project I really didn’t want to abandon it. I have yet to try this with other forms of applique but, if you do let me know how it comes out. If you would like to see the process in action check out my video on youtube.
I have been so looking forward to sharing photo of my new work space. A place that brings me my creativity and a peaceful awareness of what I make. Now for the but. As I have gotten things organized to a degree that I felt that I could work and keep moving ahead a little at a time with finding a home for everything. My mother-in-law needed a lot of health care. She was placed in a near by nursing home for her end of life care. We had to move her out of her apartment, she would no longer need it and her lease was due. I bet you can guess where most of her things went. My husband decided that we needed to take a vacation before she passed as she was in a place where people could take care of her.
Now that we have returned and my mother-in-law has passed, It has been hard finding my space again. I will plug away a little at a time to get it cleared as there is still much to do with all that needs to be done.
So my husband’s uncle gave me all these buttons that he found in his house. The house he grew up in and lived in with his mother and father. My husband’s grandparents. and all of their sister’s and brothers. The house was built at least three generation back. I can only image how long this button collecting has been going on.
I have begun sorting the buttons by color and now each color to those that have the same design. As I inspect them for carefully. I notice that some still have threads in them or even a piece of material where it was cut off the garment. Some are glass or plastic others I have no idea what they are made of. It is a learning experience for me.
I have reached out to a person with a button club (who new there was such a thing) to see if any of them have any value. While I wait for a time that we can get together I have made up by own button card to sew the ones that go together on too.
Either way value or just more craft button it has been fun just looking at all the neat designs. I now have a better appreciations for button. And can you believe it I will not be hunting for button during my travels.
So Lately I have been moving more things into the studio. We got the C.O. so now it is official. In the process of moving in. I have found so many unfinished projects (mostly quilts) I have also been rejuvenated to make other projects that I bought material for and just never did. I’ve also rediscovered my trove of resale goods. I have been listing them on Mercari. As I get new handcrafted item made I’ll list them on Mercari as well. Thanks for stopping by.
I have been working hard on moving into the new studio. There is still lots to be done but, almost there. We finally got the CO. I took some time to make a few wreaths as I found all the materials to do so. I really had fun doing that. We also took some time for a vacation. Something my husband and I haven’t done in some time. We really enjoyed ourselves in South Carolina and look forward to going again. Here a few pictures of the wreaths and our vacation. I’ll do a studio tour soon. If your interested in buying a wreath just check out the shop page